Deburring takes longer than you’ll think

After nearly a two week hiatus (I was out of town), today I got back into the project. I focused for several hours on deburring all parts for the vertical stabilizer. I’d done some deburring before, like with the Van’s Practice Toolbox, but today was really just a lot of OJT (On the Job Training) … I was figuring out the best ways to do this as I was working on the real thing. I’m not sure if the opinions I’ve formed (as shared below, with each picture) are inline with best practices … I’m still very much in learning mode, and I imagine I’ll find better, easier ways to do things as time goes on. One thing is for sure, though: deburring takes longer than you think it will. Having the right tools for a job always makes it easier, and often faster – and I’ve got the right tools, I think. I can’t imagine how painfully long this job would be if I was using a just a file!

At this point in my experience, I’ll say that having an inexpensive angle die grinder and a 1″ 3M Scotchbrite wheel┬áhas been most productive. As long as you go lightly with the tool, it does a nicer job than anything else, and it’s also the quickest. I wish I could find a more efficient way to deburr holes, however using anything more than a hand tool, as I am now, would likely remove more material than you’d want … and then you’d be creating countersinking edge rather than simply deburring. One person suggested I use the hex shank deburring tool with a battery-operated power drill – but I thought that was bad advice, as the tendency to over-deburr would be a risk.